SalMUN 2009
Welcome to SalMUN 2009 Forum!
First time on the forum? please read the instructions!
In order to post, please login =)
If you already saw this message, you may cancel it.
SalMUN 2009

This forum is a lobbying place for MUN delegates to get prepared for the actual SalMUN 2009 Conference in Bahia!

You are not connected. Please login or register

Possible Topics for Resolutions (brief summaries)

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1. North Korea nuclear program:
North Korea has constantly been the spotlight in the risk of having a nuclear weapons program. It has been threatened by the United States and other nations continuously and IAEA inspections are held in the country. North Korea had already agreed upon an armistice but it still ended up performing an underground nuclear test that caused an earthquake in South Korea, making it the world’s eighth atomic power by 2006. The UN warned the country and demanded the suspension of nuclear development, but, defying international warning, North Korea announced on May 2009 that it had successfully conducted its second nuclear test. North Koreas has always stood defensive towards its uranium and plutonium enrichment programs declaring its usage for peaceful energy purposes, however, on April 2009, it blatantly admitted that it would spend its plutonium rods to make nuclear weapons, and North Korea has enough plutonium for one or two bombs.

2. Kashmir conflict:
The Pakistan-Indian conflict over the Kashmir territory dates back to the countries’ Independence Act of 1947 when India and Pakistan were partitioned and the Kashmir territory created a clash between the two countries which fought for their control over the area. Today, India has control over 43% of the region, while Pakistan has 37% and China controls the remaining 20%, but there is still tension and instability over the area and both India and Pakistan claim Kashmir based on historical developments and religious majority of the area’s population. India argues that it holds a signed agreement with Kashmir’s former Maharaja, Hari Singh, which granted the Kashmir territory to the Indian government on 26 of October, 1947, and that recent elections has shown a major support from the Kashmir population to the pro-India National Conference party, while Pakistan claims that the Maharaja was a brutal and unpopular leader among Kashmir population and was in no position of having power to sign an agreement like the one giving Kashmir to India, besides, the Kashmir population is mainly Muslim, and India is not a Muslim state, like Pakistan is, which does affect the population to some extent. An important factor to consider is the fact that both India and Pakistan are not part of the NPT and have already declared the possession of nuclear weapons, a major risk between states that have an ongoing conflict.

3. Xinjiang territory
The Xinjiang area is an autonomous region in China which has recently shown serious political unrest between the Uighur plurality and the Chinese authorities. The issue actually started decades ago and protests have happened since then against Chinese rule in Xinjiang, which independence advocates view it as Chinese imperialism. The Xinjiang Production and Construction Corps, a Chinese economic organization which develops economic development and stability in the Xinjiang region has settled millions of migrants to the area, especially Hans Chinese, which is the core reason of the recent protests. The essence of the conflict in the area is actually of an ethnic nature between Uighurs and Han Chinese. The Uighur population has complained of political, cultural and religious persecution by Beijing – operated by Han Chinese – and calls for more autonomy and freedom have been frequent and have increased after major riots and protests these past few months were hundreds of civilians were killed and thousands were injured.

4. Terrorism
Terrorism has been a major issue in Asia through the past years since 9/11, specifically in the countries of Pakistan and Afghanistan where radical terrorist groups and organizations like the Taliban still have a certain level of influence in certain areas. The Pakistan state has advocated together with the United States the War on Terror, where major efforts have been made to search, find, and cease terrorist activities in the Pakistan region including other countries. An area which is characterized by strong terrorist and violent activities is between the border of Afghanistan and Pakistan, the Federally Administered Tribal Areas (FATA), where access is extremely hard due to the mountainous characteristic and an area controlled by terrorist groups like the Taliban. India, Nepal, and various other Asian countries suffer from different terrorist organizations which risk the life of civilians and put the country’s safety at stake. Consequently, Pakistan and Afghanistan have acquired a terrorist stereotype creating racial issues around the world towards Pakistanis and Afghans in general even though their government’s have been attempting solutions – to a certain extent – in ceasing terrorist activities in their regions.

5. China and Tibet
The Chinese and Tibetan territorial conflict starts off as far as the 7th century when Tibet was a nation led by a strong king and an intimidating army, soon taking control over the silk road and conquering the Chang’an, the Chinese metropolis of the time. However, the rise of the Tibetan empire was interrupted by a ruler who suppressed the Tibetan Buddhism. By the end of his rule, Tibet had become a nation ruled by monks and monasteries. This was followed by a period in which China’s Mongolian Khans dynasty had a ruler negotiate and bond with the new Tibetan leader, finally incorporating Tibet within their own territory. Throughout the Ming dynasty Tibet had already recognized China’s sovereignty over the nation. When the Dalai Lama took control over Tibet, they faced issues by being strictly confined to Chinese sovereignty, but still throughout the 1900s, after the British tried to invade Tibet, sovereignty was once again recognized to be China’s. When the People’s Republic of China was established, the Dalai Lama agreed to the annexation of Tibet to China due to Mao’s communist government, but only as long as the political, social and religious structure of the country would not be violated. Mao promised this autonomy, but turmoil once again rose after he implicated supremacy on the Tibetan government. The question of whether Tibet’s sovereignty is theirs or China’s still is something highly discussed today. How to pick a side when the Tibetans insist for more autonomy, but the Chinese declare they have supported Tibet’s government in so many aspects?

6. Refugees in Nepal from Bhutan
The refugees are characterized for being almost all ethnic Nepalis from southern Bhutan, who have been expelled from their homes more than 16 years ago. They have been living in refugee camps in eastern Nepal, being unable to permanently settle in the country or come back to their home in Bhutan. This conflict starts around the 1800s when people started immigrating to the lowlands, or southern part of Bhutan, which was infested with malaria. These people, forming a specific “group”, were labeled the “Lhotsampas”. As this population of Nepalese cultured people started growing rapidly, the Bhutanese king grew worried at the relation between them and the population of the north. He then decided to perform a Bhutanization, which aimed at unifying the country under the Druk culture (the one practiced by the north). By banning the practice of anything that characterized the Nepalese, soon the Lhotsampas felt a desire to rebel, leading to violent clashes with the police and army. By 1990 the Bhutanese government required all the Lhotsampas to leave Bhutan. Approximately 107,000 refugees reside in seven camps in eastern Nepal.

7. Maoist Insurgencies
The Communist Party of Nepal-Maoist was formed in 1995 under the ideals of the Chinese communist Mao Tsetung. The group, now considered a terrorist faction, announced a “People’s War” on February 1996. Their main goal is to establish a new democracy in the Nepalese government and strongly strike against imperialism, feudalism and so-called reformists. This was an immediate response to the government’s response to a memorandum proposed which had 40 demands with the ideals of an improved democracy, nationalism and livelihood. They operate in 68 of the 75 districts that occupy Nepal, having approximately 5,500 combatants, 8,000 militia, 4,500 cadres, 33,000 followers and 200,000 sympathizers. The CPI-Maoists (as they are now called) have been banned under the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act condemning it a terrorist organization. They are responsible for 90% of the left wing violence in India.

8. Indonesia Terrorism
Indonesia has been a witness of terrorist attacks since 2002 from a terrorist group with direct links to Al Qaeda known as the Jemaah Islamiyah Islamist, lead by Noordin Muhammad Top, considered the most wanted terrorism suspect in Southeast Asia. Their jihad group has been a suspect for various attacks like the bombings in Bali in 2005 which killed more than 20 people, at the JW Marriott Hotel in Jakarta in 2003, which killed 12, and at the Australian Embassy in Jakarta in 2004, with a casualty of 9 people. There have been claims that the leader has been caught and killed, but there are still confirmations left.

View user profile
which day we are going to recieve the final topics and question of?

View user profile

3 thank you on October 4th 2009, 13:25

thank you for doing this little paragraphs. this way will be easier for me to know what to do about the other topics. thank you very much Very Happy

View user profile
South Korea_Alana wrote:which day we are going to recieve the final topics and question of?

if everybody worked fine, we should receive them tomorrow, monday 5th october. Smile

View user profile
Prosper! We sent an e-mail to all delegates about the final topics but I think I wrote your e-mail wrong! Ask Rafael and he will tell you your final topic, it's on natural disasters that has been affecting certain Asian countries significantly lately, especially Indonesia with their earthquakes and tsunami threats. It's a very important topic!

View user profile
Milla, I also didn 't recive this e-mail that you said to prosper...

View user profile
Hello Milla,
I am new here in the group of Rafael and Prosper.
Can you send the final topic to me too please ?
And on tuesday at the caucus meeting i will speak to you.

View user profile
Michael, tell me your e-mail and I'll send you Smile Marina, I checked the e-mail Paula sent and you were in it, so I don't know what happened.

View user profile
I also didn't recive my e-mail and I gabe to Paula in the meeting and she has it.. but her it is anyway: alanaafcavalcanti@hotmail.com

View user profile
Okay thank you.
My email is fett.michael@gmail.com.
The caucus meeting of asian is always on tuesday from 2.30 to 3 right ?

View user profile
Hello, I represent Pakistan along with Diego and I already received the email that says the topics for each country. I know my topic is on the Kashmir conflict and I know what Pakistan's goal is. It is simply gaining the territory of Kashmir. So for my final topic, can Milla or Paula please help me say in an intelligent way, to gain Kashmir for Pakistan.
i have come up with some ideas, such as a three separate voting procedures, one for who believes Kashmir should belong to China, another for India, and another for Pakistan. <Chico, the security council delegate of Pakistan suggested that to me but i think it's too risky.
I've already spoke to Milla about this in one of the meetings but if you write your response in the forum too, that would be helpful
thanks
afro

View user profile
Kris, I've been thinking about it and what I think you should do is to urge a demographic scanning over the Kashmir territory where the precise percentages of ethnic groups is calculated. With this information - which will prove a majority of Muslims - you will pledge the country of India to follow the two-nation theory from which both nations were created in 1947 which stated that India and Pakistan would be divided into a Hindu and Muslim state respectively, therefore meaning that Pakistan should control the Kashmir teritory. This way there would not be a risky solution to your country in your resolution. Do you think it's a good idea?? Very Happy

View user profile
thank you alot! that really helped and i think im going to use that. I will reaserch a bit more about this but it sounds very promising...thank you

View user profile

14 Recall on October 15th 2009, 17:35

Remember to inform tyler of the change in the "question of" of their resolution ah eh was not present at the time...

View user profile
North Korean Security Council Paulo,

I have since been informed of the change in "question of".

Thank you for the information change!

North Korean Delegate,
Tyler Simpson

View user profile
Delegate Tyler,
The resolution that was discussed at yesterdays meeting is
to take extreme measures to remove sanctions imposed by the UN in North Korea.

North Korean Delegate,
Catie Nagel

View user profile
Aisan Caucus leader Paula,

The North Korean Delegation regrets to inform you that at this time the Delegates of North Korea are protesting the sudden and delayed change in proposed resolutions. The North Korean Delegation has researched the topic of Nuclear Weapons for the past two weeks and we the Delegation as a whole strongly and actively believe that the choice of topic resolution should be in the hands of the Delegates representing the country of topic.

Out of all of this, we believe that it is our duty and in our best interest to continue researching and discussing the Nuclear Weapons topic as previously detremined.

North Korean Delegates,
Tyler Simpson
Catie Nagel
Adriano Mattos

View user profile
Delegation of North Korea, are you now in agreement with the question of? I hope everyone understood that it was not Paula or anyone who made North Korea change the topic without your consent. In fact, Catie and Adriano were there. If you have decided upon your question of please send us an e-mail so that we can confirm it! You are the ones who decide upon your topic and your question of. We apologize for any misunderstanding! Smile Good luck!

View user profile
Aisan Caucus and Chairs,

If all of the Aisan Caucus is aware the North Korea will be creating a resoluton based on the topic of Nuclear Weapons and Nuclear Weapons Programs, then the North Korean Delegation agrees with the topic originally created by the Aisan Caucus and it's Chairs.

The apology will be accepted in it's fullest meaning. Also, the acceptance of an apology sent from the North Korean Delegation to the Aisan Caucus is being requested.

Thank you Chair and Co-Chair

North Korean Delegates,
Tyler Simpson
Catie Nagel
Adriano Mattos

View user profile
Delegate Tyler of North Korea,
I can see you are having certain issues upon the decision of your resolution topic. As you should be aware, my duty and Milla's is to make sure we guide you through this whole MUN process, so there are several things I would like to comment on and clarify. Firstly, I really admire the effort you're putting in to take a stance for the country you are representing; this kind of effort and even "passion" is definitely what we're looking for during the debates. However, the delegate should understand the whole point of the UN and the MUN. One of its main purposes is to create a nuclear free world. By adopting this idea to our Model UN, we intend to propose topics that are considered debatable, feasible, and that can be reached through a consensus. The delegate should keep in mind that it is highly immoral to threaten countries, through the possession of nuclear weapons, even IF it is in question of security, so it would be even more immoral to propose to end a treaty that clearly seeks for the control of these weapons. I would strongly recommend you to defend your country and its position by eliminating the current NPT and proposing a new one, that is more efficient, since as you can argue that the NPT is not being completely effective. I will be talking to you more on this tomorrow, so it can be clarified thoroughly. Thank you for your attention delegate, and always remember you're free to come up to me at anytime if you need help.
Hope you understood what I meant, and how this is for the best.
You're question of will still be on Nuclear Arsenal, so obviously none of the time you spent on researching was in vain.
Apologies are accepted, but be careful with your form of expression, after all, we caucus leaders only want what is best for you delegates.

Sincerely,
Chair Paula

View user profile
Chair Paula,

The North Korean Delegation is aware of the purpose of MUN. However, the UN was not created for the sole purpose of ridding the world of Nuclear Weapons, you must keep in mind that this is just one large topic that the large span of the UN happens to cover.

North Korean Delegate,
Tyler Simpson

View user profile
As I said Delegate, ONE OF THE MAIN purposes of the MUN is to create a nuclear free world. My point is that your goal is to create a FEASIBLE resolution, which in a way can be agreed upon by other nations, as I said before, a reachable consensus.
Delegate you're pushing this too far off and all I am trying to do is help you reach a good topic to write on and a good discussion. If this is what you want, I believe there's nothing else I can say, after all I won't force you to do anything. Hope you once again can take in consideration the Chairs' suggestion, after all, we've had previous MUN experience, and chosen as leaders we are aware of how to run the debates and what to recommend to delegates.

View user profile
Chair Paula,

These facts will be taken into consideration upon the deciding of our resolution. Thank you for the help.

North Korean Delegate,
Tyler Simpson

View user profile
Chair Paula
Since i stated researching about the nuclear projects, weapons etc... I am really wondering why people still want to do Nuclear programms, since they already know that it is against the environment, against UN and against other countries.
If North Korea anouce another treaty, how will it be accepted if he doesn't swear to scared countries as Japan, doesn't confirms that there is no risks they will use them for attacks and that they will created a new system anti-pollution, plus anti-CO2 emition etc...
please answer me as soon as possible.

View user profile
Delegate of Japan,
This is exactly what NK's resolution will have to deal with. If NK's goal is to pass the resolution, then the delegation has to bare in mind that it will have propose clauses that are beneficial to both sides. The fact they are proposing a new NPT is due to the fact the old one is barely effective. So in a way, you can interpret it as an improvement of the treaty and consequently an improvement to the nuclear hostility worldwide. Hope it helped!

View user profile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum