SalMUN 2009
Welcome to SalMUN 2009 Forum!
First time on the forum? please read the instructions!
In order to post, please login =)
If you already saw this message, you may cancel it.
SalMUN 2009

This forum is a lobbying place for MUN delegates to get prepared for the actual SalMUN 2009 Conference in Bahia!

You are not connected. Please login or register

Posting Your Initial Topics

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1 Posting Your Initial Topics on September 28th 2009, 19:55

Dear Delagates,

I would like you to post your initial resolution ideas under this section of the forum. That way I can make any further suggestions, check if you guys are on the right track, and express any further concerns.

Tomorrow, if possible, come to me with your formally written "question of" so that I can check it.

Any delegates who did not see me today, please come talk to me during break or lunch. I won't be at school for this Wednesday, Thursday or Friday, so please let's get everything straight.

Raphael P. Chalhub farao

View user profile

2 Re: Posting Your Initial Topics on September 28th 2009, 20:33

Israel would like to restablish the Camp David Summit 2000, but only if the
Palestines recognize the right of soveregnity of Israel.

I also need some help to know what Israel could do more relating to this topic.

View user profile

3 Syria's Topic on September 28th 2009, 20:34

Syria's topic is the issue of Israel's possession of the Golan Heights. The Golan Heights were originally part of the country of Syria, but Israel captured it during June 9-10, 1967 during the Six-Day War.

View user profile

4 Re: Posting Your Initial Topics on September 28th 2009, 20:59

After the six day war, Syria signed a disengagement agreement that left the Golan in
Israel's hands. In June 2007, Israel said they would return the Golan Heights back in
exchange for peace, but Syria did not cooperate. Only now, in march 2009, "Syrian President Bashar al-Assad says Tel Aviv has agreed to return the strategic Israeli-occupied Golan Heights to Syria in return for peace."

View user profile

5 Re: Posting Your Initial Topics on September 28th 2009, 22:09

Israeli Delegation,

To elaborate your resolution I'd consider first reviewing the historical background of not only the Palestinian Israeli conflict, which can be found in the site http://www.un.org/Depts/dpa/ngo/history.html, but also researching the history behind the two-state solution, which can be found in the good old wikipedia site http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two-state_solution.

Also, the next step would be to look at past resolutions regarding this issue. This link will lead you to the first resolution on the two-state solution written in 1947. Its a long read, and this solution has already been modified during various other times in history, however it is probably the basis of your new, hopefully more inovative, resolution: http://www.yale.edu/lawweb/avalon/un/res181.htm

Raphael Portela Chalhub farao

View user profile

6 Re: Posting Your Initial Topics on September 28th 2009, 22:32

Israel_Roberta wrote:After the six day war, Syria signed a disengagement agreement that left the Golan in
Israel's hands. In June 2007, Israel said they would return the Golan Heights back in
exchange for peace, but Syria did not cooperate. Only now, in march 2009, "Syrian President Bashar al-Assad says Tel Aviv has agreed to return the strategic Israeli-occupied Golan Heights to Syria in return for peace."

Dear delegate of Israel, please state your sources which states that Syria didn't accept the offer of 100% of the Golan Heights area with free access for its water sources.

Israel never actually agreed to turn in all of the Golan Heights area to Syria. It is true that Israel is trying to make a peace agreement with Syria, but under absurd conditions.

"Based on recent events that happened in Israel, both Israel and Syria held four rounds of indirect negotiations under Turkey’s mediation. Unfortunately until now this negotiation hasn’t shown a significant progress. Israel still stands with its position to keep its lake’s vital water supplies in Golan area, a demand that Syria totally rejected and it has caused a brutal reaction from Syria which makes the tension between two parties increase." (Quote from http://prakdipunpar2008.wordpress.com/2008/09/15/mid-exam3/)

So dear delegate, how can Israel propose to give back Golan Heights without giving back any of its water supplies. Dear delegate of Israel, is it right to give back a land to its rightful owner while denying their rights for their own water supply? Is it right to deny thirsty citizens of Syria their rights for a fresh supply of water? How can Syria accept an offer which will be literally useless for Syria? Syria wants the Golan Heights due to its water supplies which are rightfully theirs.

"Blamed on a combination of climate change, man-made desertification and lack of irrigation, up to 60 percent of Syria's land and 1.3 million people (of a population of 22 million) are affected, according to the UN. Just over 800,000 people have lost their entire livelihood, according to the UN and IFRC.

No-one knows exactly how many people have migrated across the country because of the drought. The Syrian Ministry for Agriculture and Agrarian Reform's estimate in July was 40,000 to 60,000 families, with 35,000 from Hassakeh alone. But with people moving all the time, the figure is likely to be an underestimate." (Quote from http://www.irinnews.org/Report.aspx?ReportId=85963)

So dear delegate, is it right to deny these 40,000 to 60,000 families water? Syria can't accept an offer which will deny their access to Golan Height's water, so it is irrelevent to give Syria the Golan Heights back without access to a water supply.

View user profile

7 Re: Posting Your Initial Topics on September 29th 2009, 08:23

"From 1948-67, when Syria controlled the Golan Heights, it used the area as a military stronghold from which its troops randomly sniped at Israeli civilians in the Huleh Valley below, forcing children living on kibbutzim to sleep in bomb shelters. Israel repeatedly, and unsuccessfully, protested the Syrian bombardments to the UN Mixed Armistice Commission, which was charged with policing the cease-fire. For example, Israel went to the UN in October 1966 to demand a halt to the Fatah attacks. The response from Damascus was defiant. "It is not our duty to stop them, but to encourage and strengthen them, the Syrian ambassador responded. Nothing was done to stop Syria's aggression. On June 9, 1967, Israel moved against Syrian forces on the Golan. By late afternoon, June 10, Israel was in complete control of the plateau. Israel's seizure of the strategic heights occurred only after 19 years of provocation from Syria, and after unsuccessful efforts to get the international community to act against the aggressors. Six years later, in a surprise attack on Yom Kippur, the Syrians overran the Golan Heights before being repulsed by Israeli counterattacks. After the war, Syria signed a disengagement agreement that left the Golan in Israel's hands." http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/Peace/golan_hts.html

The Israeli prime minister has offered to return the Golan Heights to Syria in exchange for peace, the nation's press reported yesterday... http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/1554068/Israel-offers-the-Golan-Heights-to-Syria.html

do you need more sources for proof? i can show you Wink

View user profile

8 Re: Posting Your Initial Topics on September 29th 2009, 08:30

Israel_Roberta wrote:"From 1948-67, when Syria controlled the Golan Heights, it used the area as a military stronghold from which its troops randomly sniped at Israeli civilians in the Huleh Valley below, forcing children living on kibbutzim to sleep in bomb shelters. Israel repeatedly, and unsuccessfully, protested the Syrian bombardments to the UN Mixed Armistice Commission, which was charged with policing the cease-fire. For example, Israel went to the UN in October 1966 to demand a halt to the Fatah attacks. The response from Damascus was defiant. "It is not our duty to stop them, but to encourage and strengthen them, the Syrian ambassador responded. Nothing was done to stop Syria's aggression. On June 9, 1967, Israel moved against Syrian forces on the Golan. By late afternoon, June 10, Israel was in complete control of the plateau. Israel's seizure of the strategic heights occurred only after 19 years of provocation from Syria, and after unsuccessful efforts to get the international community to act against the aggressors. Six years later, in a surprise attack on Yom Kippur, the Syrians overran the Golan Heights before being repulsed by Israeli counterattacks. After the war, Syria signed a disengagement agreement that left the Golan in Israel's hands." http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/Peace/golan_hts.html

The Israeli prime minister has offered to return the Golan Heights to Syria in exchange for peace, the nation's press reported yesterday... http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/1554068/Israel-offers-the-Golan-Heights-to-Syria.html

do you need more sources for proof? i can show you Wink

The last article shown, which states that Israel was going to exchange the Golan Heights for peace was in the following date:
Published: 12:01AM BST 09 Jun 2007

Also, that statement states that Syria would have to abandon their allies in Iran and Lebanon. That would weaken Syria and these other countries greatly, also reducing their economy. Even if this article was valid for our current date, it wouldn't be relevant to reduce Syria's economy greatly in exchange for land, since Syria could possibly turn into a failed state. Today, the agreement changed, but still doesn't allow Syria to have full access to the Golan Heights resources. Your first article states that Syria used it as a military based, but that happened since Israel and Syria were currently at war. You can't expect a country to be in war with another without violence. Syria might not have cooperated, but don't forget that Israel had his share on this too. Israel also attacked Syria during that time, so please state Israel's own rotten apples before stating Syria's.

Sincerally,
the delegate of Syria.

View user profile

9 Re: Posting Your Initial Topics on September 29th 2009, 16:38

Resolving the civil war going on in Yemen, which began because of the Cold War regional politics of the 1960s.

View user profile

10 Re: Posting Your Initial Topics on September 29th 2009, 17:29

rotten apples?? ISRAEL WILL NEVER BE CONSIDERED TO HAVE ROTTEN APPLES, AT THE MOST ISRAEL HAS OVER-RIPED ORANGES....for they are full of vitamin C, as Israel is full of reason and right on its side.......
P.S stop whining about the Golan Heights, its not yours to whine about.

View user profile

11 Re: Posting Your Initial Topics on September 29th 2009, 18:52

Fellow Middle-eastern delegates!
The Golan Heights did belong to Syria, so, theoretically, much like Israel has the right to whine over West Bank and Gaza Strip, so does Syria. The question in hand here relates to what circumstances Israel is willing to renounce its territorial claims over the Golan Heights in exchange for peace with yet another Arab country. Girls, look back on the terms of agreement of the Camp David Accords of 1978 in which Israel agreed to "give back" the Sinai Peninsula to Egypt in return for its recognition, in part of the Egyptian government, as a sovereign Jewish state.

Here are a couple of sites that have served me well during my years of Middle-east studies (don't be carried away by the biased info):
http://www.palestinefacts.org/
http://factsofisrael.com/blog/index.php
and http://middleeastfacts.com/

By the way, I will be available for tutoring tomorrow from 2:30-4:00 (Ms. Garrett's room) so if you have any doubts, questions or ideas, do come talk to me!

Sincerely yours,
SC chair

Last edited by PresidentSC_Bibi on September 29th 2009, 19:30; edited 1 time in total

View user profile

12 Re: Posting Your Initial Topics on September 29th 2009, 19:01

thanks Bibi, president of the Security Council, its sort of where i wanted to get to, but I had no idea from where to start. =P
P.S Israel doesn't whine, it sends in resolutions or agreements to the rival country

View user profile

13 Re: Posting Your Initial Topics on September 29th 2009, 19:04

Dear delegate of Syria,

Israel also offered the Golan Heights back to syria in anuary and as you stated onlyt if they stop their alliances with Iran. you wouldnt be actually a fail state, becaus eif you stopped your alliences with them, Israel would probably help Syria. We want peace.
Syria did not just used the Golan Heights as a military base during the war, it also used for training, before it had the war with Israel.
And why dont you first take a look at your country before calling us rotten apples?? hello...

View user profile

14 Re: Posting Your Initial Topics on September 29th 2009, 19:39

I don't think that any of your countries are like "rotten apples" but Israel must be careful in not showing off like a hypocrit to the Arab delegations. Why should Israel have the right to question how the Golan Heights area has been utilized by Syria when it possesses one of the strongest military training forces inside your own country? I don't think that Israel has the right to jeopardize the credibility of Syria's attempt to regain control of what was once part of its territory.

Nevertheless, a pose a question to the Syria: is your delegation truly willing to exchange its right over the Golan Heights for the recognition of Israel as an independent Jewish state? For how long will Syria remain under the "skirt of safety" of Iran and follow its every move?

Last edited by PresidentSC_Bibi on September 29th 2009, 21:00; edited 1 time in total

View user profile

15 Resolution on September 29th 2009, 19:56

Question of:Effective measures to end the illegal Israeli settlements in the territory of West Bank and the Israeli separation-wall across the borders of the Jewish State.

Do I need to add the Gaza strip issue?

View user profile

16 Re: Posting Your Initial Topics on September 29th 2009, 20:14

Israel has the right to question the purpose of the Golan Heights territory when given back to Syria for it can be used as a military base to attack Israel, which ISN'T GOOD, Syria is following Iran's steps, and so far Iran has presented itself as a threat to Israel various times, Israel just wants to make sure that its people are not harmed in this process. Even though Israel has a strong military force, the first one to attack will always have an advantage, and Israel in no possible scenario is willing to put people's lives at stake any more, there fore the use of the military would to be only to defend the Israeli people.

View user profile

17 Re: Posting Your Initial Topics on September 29th 2009, 20:55

Please tell me if it is alright: Muhammad thinks we should do our resolution on the weapon smuggling in Egypt.

View user profile

18 Re: Posting Your Initial Topics on September 29th 2009, 21:02

Iraq is interested in creating, clarifying and enforcing freedom and limits to Iran's nuclear program and NOT blocking it.

View user profile

19 Re: Posting Your Initial Topics on September 29th 2009, 21:13

how are you supposed to enforce freedom while still limiting its nuclear program?

View user profile

20 Re: Posting Your Initial Topics on September 29th 2009, 21:49

Israel_Roberta wrote:Dear delegate of Syria,

Israel also offered the Golan Heights back to syria in anuary and as you stated onlyt if they stop their alliances with Iran. you wouldnt be actually a fail state, becaus eif you stopped your alliences with them, Israel would probably help Syria. We want peace.
Syria did not just used the Golan Heights as a military base during the war, it also used for training, before it had the war with Israel.
And why dont you first take a look at your country before calling us rotten apples?? hello...

First of all, the term rotten apples means their flaws, not the country of Israel, so please research before stating something the delegate of Israel has no idea what means. Second, if Syria is using Golan Heights for military training, why would Israel have anything to do with it if Israel and Syria had no wars during it? Third of all, considering Israel's and Syria's past records and history, there is no way to affirm that Israel would help Syria. So, resuming delegate, use common sense before posting something the delegate can't be sure or doesn't know what means. By the way, if Syria compromises their relationship with Lebanon and Iran, Syria would have three tense relationships, and that wouldn't be a wise choice. Israeli citizens have already tried to ban Arabs in Jewish areas, so why would Israel form an alliance with Syria? (Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/2115857.stm) Israel is trying to weaken Syria by making it lose it's alliances, and Syria wouldn't allow such thing to happen.

Sincerely,
the delegate of Syria. Very Happy

Last edited by Syria_Rafael on September 29th 2009, 22:08; edited 1 time in total

View user profile

21 Re: Posting Your Initial Topics on September 29th 2009, 21:53

Dear Delegations,

As I said earlier, I won't be at school for the rest of this week. So, any doubts you have, jogue o pepino pra cima de Eden. Just joking..

You can talk with Eden or post any concerns on the forum and I'll try to answer. Off the top of my head these are approximately what the questions of of each delegation will be dealing with:

Syria: Reclaiming the Golan Heights
Israel: Two-State Solution of the Palestinian-Israeli Conflict
Qatar: Resolving the Yemen War
Lebanon: Effective measures to end the illegal Israeli settlements in the territory of West Bank and the Israeli separation-wall across the borders of the Jewish State
UAE: ??
Egypt: ??
Iraq: Iran's nuclear program

*Am I missing anyone? (Sorry if I am...)

Footnotes:

These are not your complete questions of, just a summarized outline.

To UAE, I believe Egypt is already doing something about the arms smuggling (if I am not mistaken). I was looking at the overall topics of our caucus' resolutions and we have a bunch about war, bombs, conflicts and death... So I was thinking we could do something humanitarian for a change. Thus, I was hoping you guys could do something about refugees. There are inumerous options for that topic. You've got Iraqi refugees in Jordan and Syria, Iranian Kurds on the Iraqi-Jordanian border and Palestinian refugees in a bunch of places. You could adress a specific group or area or come up with a broader resolution. I know it might not sound that exciting, but when it comes to writing a resolution, these broad humanitarian topics are the most complex because you are trying to elaborate a feasible solution to a problem nations worldwide have tried to solve and failed. I must admit it is quite boring for debate, that is true. But it is definitely not boring to write a resolution about it. For instance, when I was Sudan Security Council in 10th grade, I wrote a resolution on water shortage in the Sub-Saharan region. Humbly, I must say it was a heck of a resolution and many teachers were impressed. But, it was not discussed in Security Council because there was not much to discuss about it. However, remember that you will get a chance to research and debate on all the other resolutions as much as you wish.

To Qatar, check this site which talks about Qatar's mediation of Yemen's conflict http://www.alarabiya.net/articles/2008/05/04/49326.html

To Lebanon, even though you are not explicitly mentioning the Gaza crossings or reconstruction, it is kind of implied in the whole issue with the border fence, and it will have to be included in your resolution. This should be a super well-developed resolution given the fact that it is the hottest issue right now together with Iran's nuclear program.

Raphael Portela Chalhub farao

View user profile

22 Re: Posting Your Initial Topics on September 29th 2009, 22:08

Hi fellow delegates of the Middle Eastern caucus. I am representing Egypt, and i would like to focus my topic on the arms smuggling there is going on from Egypt to the Gaza Strip. One of the solutions i came up with was to talk to the UN and have them place some troops at the borders of Egypt, as to control more what is going through and stuff. Please the countries that are involved with this, tell me if you guys think it is a good idea. Very Happy

View user profile

23 Re: Posting Your Initial Topics on September 29th 2009, 22:49

Hey delegate of Egypt, just a note here, delegates from regional caucuses can't ask for UN peacekeeping troops... these can only be requested by countries within the Security Council. However, you can ask for the Security Council to consider placing so many troops in such and such places, but only "recommend" and not "demand." In other words, it's a possibility and not a certainty that the troops will be indeed placed in the Egyptian territory to control arms smuggling.

View user profile

24 Re: Posting Your Initial Topics on September 30th 2009, 09:05

The UAE will, hopefully, be focusing on the weapon trafficking in the Persian Gulf.

View user profile

25 Re: Posting Your Initial Topics on September 30th 2009, 20:10

I will ask the security council for this, but maybe another good solution would be to build a sort of "wall" or fence, and have Isreal and Egypt agree to both contribute by adding some army members near the border to control a lot better what is going through it. And also to add more security on the coasts near both countries for extra control.

View user profile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum