SalMUN 2009
Welcome to SalMUN 2009 Forum!
First time on the forum? please read the instructions!
In order to post, please login =)
If you already saw this message, you may cancel it.
SalMUN 2009

This forum is a lobbying place for MUN delegates to get prepared for the actual SalMUN 2009 Conference in Bahia!


You are not connected. Please login or register

North Korea's nuclear threat!

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 7]

101 Re: North Korea's nuclear threat! on October 31st 2009, 17:10

The delegate of South Korea still don't understand how is North Korea using there weapons for defensive system if they are also threatening 3 more nations of attacking and destroying them. Using these weapons for protection? Peaceful means? South Korea doesn’t believe in this possibility! North Korea doesn’t need nuclear weapons, only if they are planning in attacking innocent nations like South Korea. When South Korea country became an ally if the USA, for North Korea was a treat, for us and we asked help! The United States is involved in this issue since South Korea asked for help and after your NK started threatening them too.
North Korea IS able of launching a nuclear attack and it is a top concern since the possibility of this happening is huge and these missiles aimed to hit at Seoul, Tokyo or even parts of the United States. In 1998 North Korea surprised the entire world by testing a missile that flew over Japan and fell in the Pacific Ocean. In July of this year, they test-launched seven missiles, this included one multistage rocket that theoretically would be able to hit Alaska. But the country’s ability to use a missile to accurately deliver any kind of nuclear warhead against a distant country remains in doubt.
South Korea believes that DPRK is accumulating plutonium for a bomb since the mid 1980’s, but they froze there production because of the agreement with the USA in 1994 that was broke down in 2003. Experts think that about 80% of the refined plutonium DPRK produced estimated in between 45 and 115 lb were processed in the last four years. NOTE: about 10 lb are needed for a nuclear bomb…
Delegates why would like to know why North Korea needs so much protection, since no country is treating them testing missiles that can hit there countries and that obtain nuclear weapons? The reason for this protection is the fear of the United States imposing a new way of government in your nation? But what about South Korea, we are effected because we are simply allies with the USA? And Japan?
Since the delegate of Venezuela posted while the delegate was wrinting this post, yes Obama don't control the entire United States, but his method of administration and the american population think about him compared to Bush is completly different! under Bush administration the USA considered by some nations "TRUSTWORTHY" nation, but with Obama there aren't still any proves about this...

View user profile

102 Re: North Korea's nuclear threat! on November 1st 2009, 21:25

SouthKorea_Andrea wrote:North Korea,
"with the continuation of this unecessary searches and mounting of troops in the DMZ we have no other option than to continue our nuclear pogram and hope your nation comes to sense..."
So... hypothetically, would your nation consider dismantling your nuclear program if one day a peace treaty was established replacing SK's arsenal and U.S military troops with UN peacekeepers along the DMZ?
and what truce was the delegate refering to that i misunderstood?

The delegate of Pakistan would like to EMPHASIZE what has already been said a number of times, is that NK acquired Nuclear Weapons for a very good reason. This reason is for protection. Even if troops in the DMZ are removed and US and SK agree to sign a treaty to only have peace relations with NK, NK still will need nuclear protection! US ignored the results of the SC's decision in terms of the Iraq invasion. Who knows if US will disobey this treaty and threaten NK, and NK will be in a very bad spot without protection. So thats why it Nuclear Protection is needed and NK should under no circumstances discontinue Nuclear weapons production. Also, NK has not once threatened any countries around them in terms of Nuclear Weapons. A country just having nuclear weapons does not mean they're threatening anyone!

View user profile

103 Huh on November 2nd 2009, 17:29

Again the debate has seemed to cycle as nations such as South Korea return to the same point once more... I would recomend for you the reading of post 85 which details everything you need to know about the origins of the conflict; and believe me, you did not call for help. Not only that, but over 63% of your population disagrees with US's maintaining of troops inside your country; and that, in country which considers itself a democracy...

Delegate, our nation has already admitted to having nuclear weapons so why state we are acumulating plutonium? We already have and will obtain more; that is an obvious fact! Delegate, we already have bombs and still refraim form using them. Diferrently from nations such as USA who instead of testing some unloaded missiles decided to toss two nuke's over Japan as a demonstration of their power...

View user profile

104 Re: North Korea's nuclear threat! on November 3rd 2009, 15:02

To add to what the North Korean delegate said above, the delegates should bear in mind that North Korea's resolution proposal will stabilize the NPT, which is clearly ineffective as it is right now. It is no longer a question of whether North Korea's nuclear program is justified or not, but instead, a question of how all countries together could achieve a general agreement. If this agreement can be reached, North Korea will no longer be "threatening" other countries in relation to its nuclear program. With the approval of the resolution, all countries, not only North Korea and the USA, will be balanced in relation to the quantity of nuclear weapons and consequently, in relation to the threat each one might impose.

View user profile

105 Re: North Korea's nuclear threat! on November 4th 2009, 11:52

As part of the axis of evil, North Korea can be considered not only a threat to the USA, but for all of us.

View user profile

106 Re: North Korea's nuclear threat! on November 4th 2009, 11:59

Delegate of NK, you stated that the NPT was ineffective, but as with all treaties, they must be respected by their signatories. The NPT and the IAEA are ensured for the security of the world, if all countries were to "test" their nuclear weapons at an alarming distance from a neigboring country, it is only logical that tensions would run high...

View user profile

107 Re: North Korea's nuclear threat! on November 4th 2009, 12:08

The Egyptian Delegation agrees whith what the Brazilian Delegation has stated.

View user profile

108 Re: North Korea's nuclear threat! on November 5th 2009, 07:59

The Brazilian Delegation,

Brazil must remember that the intent and goal of SALMUN is to create solutions for world dilemas and to keep peace. A blatant attack against any country without any evidence or support of such a claim will not help these goals be met.

North Korean Delegate,
Tyler Simpson

View user profile

109 This made me laugh... on November 5th 2009, 17:17

Delegate of Brasil, first of all, the axis of evil is a random group of countries selected by US's ex-president, George Bush, as enemy states. Furthermore the USA has already removed our country from this shameful list since October 11, 2008!

Exacly delegate of Israel, all treaties "must be respected by their signatories"; North Korea is not a member of the NPT!

View user profile

110 Re: North Korea's nuclear threat! on November 5th 2009, 17:33

The delegate of the United Kingdom thinks that the scope of the issue necessarily increases beyond a matter of sticking to the NPT the moment the DPRK's nuclear program poses a threat to international peace. The minute the nuclear program is fully developed, DPRK will necessarliy, by force or otherwise, be submitted to the usual regulations both by this organization, the IAEA and other relevant international organs. The DPRK's nuclear program for energy is not so much the problem but its simultaneous development of ballistic technology, evidenced by the recent event when the DPRK fired a test missile over the Japanese air space. Solutions can be provided for through the means of specific programs such as the enrichment of Uranium in Russia and any others yet to be suggested. It is also worthy of note that the Six Party talks be involved heavily in any decision making, considering that these are the countries which have historically dealt with the issue, and consequently are better prepared to find a solution. The UN should only be used to enforce decisions made by the Six Party Talks which have not been complied with;

View user profile

111 Re: North Korea's nuclear threat! on November 7th 2009, 16:48

israel_amanda wrote: if all countries were to "test" their nuclear weapons at an alarming distance from a neigboring country, it is only logical that tensions would run high...
Delegate of Israel, the delegate of Paksitan strongly recommends you to read post 73. It states how nuclear weapons were tested at SAFE DISTANCE from their neigboring country of Japan. And geographically, DPRK and Japan are close together, so NK tested thier nulcear weapons in an area as safe as possible considering their position on the map.

View user profile

112 Re: North Korea's nuclear threat! on November 7th 2009, 18:22

Pakistan: this is exactly what Israel was retaliating...if nuclear weapons were proliferated and various nations then chose to "test" them there would'nt be any adequate or safe distances to launch them and not harm a neighbor.
The delegate couldnt agree more in the U.K's statement regarding DPKR's necessary conformity with the NPT (which already includes a compliance with IAEA regulations)

View user profile

113 Re: North Korea's nuclear threat! on November 7th 2009, 21:07

NKorea_PauloC wrote: North Korea is not a member of the NPT!
delegate, your resolution is about modifying the NPT so that it has looser regulations- regulations which would benefit your country- doesn't that then mean you would again sign the NPT if you amended it so that you were not in violation of it?
if all countries wished to violate, and then remove themselves from any treaty, what good would any treaty do?
thank you, delegate of South Korea for stating an excellent point- delegate of pakistan, even if it was a "safe" distance, it alarmed the entire world. just imagine if every country could "test" their weapons at a "safe" distance. i repeat- i said tensions would run high, then it would only take an extra push to send the world into the next nuclear war...

View user profile

114 Re: North Korea's nuclear threat! on November 7th 2009, 21:35

israel_amanda wrote:thank you, delegate of South Korea for stating an excellent point- delegate of pakistan, even if it was a "safe" distance, it alarmed the entire world. just imagine if every country could "test" their weapons at a "safe" distance. i repeat- i said tensions would run high, then it would only take an extra push to send the world into the next nuclear war...
delegate, yes, I agree to the fact that if every country were testing their nuclear weapons, tensions would arise, but then again, NOT every country NEEDS nuclear weapons like NK does which is for protection. If every country were to attain nuclear power just for the sake of having it, it woud be wrong and threatening to world peace. But in the case of NK, there are opposing troops surrounding the country, which threaten the saftey of North Korean citezens. And not once has NK phisically threatend the safety of any other country, so they have not instigated a nuclear war! So yes delegate, NK does actually "test" their nuclear weapons at a definate "safe" distance from foreign country boarders.

View user profile

115 Re: North Korea's nuclear threat! on November 7th 2009, 23:25

And not once has NK phisically threatend the safety of any other country, so they have not instigated a nuclear war! -delegate of pakistan
delegate i wouldn't say that's exactly true. while yes- North Korea has not actually threatened to start a war without "cause" but what North Korea would define as cause hardly seems legitamate.
here delegate this is North Korea's "cause" - "The new U.N. Security Council resolution requires member states to seek permission to inspect suspicious cargo. North Korea has said it would consider interception a declaration of war and on Wednesday accused the U.S. of seeking to provoke another Korean War." Wednesday, June 24, 2009
here is another statement that basically says the same thing: "The North Korean government stated that if South Korea joined the United States in an effort to search ships for nuclear weapons, it is declaring war. The North would attack the South if any of its ships were searched" May 27, 2009
the delegate of Isreal can see how any delegate might think of this as an international threat, especially to the US delegate and the South Korean delegate.

View user profile

116 Re: North Korea's nuclear threat! on November 8th 2009, 12:15

israel_amanda wrote:And not once has NK phisically threatend the safety of any other country, so they have not instigated a nuclear war! -delegate of pakistan
delegate i wouldn't say that's exactly true. while yes- North Korea has not actually threatened to start a war without "cause" but what North Korea would define as cause hardly seems legitamate.
here delegate this is North Korea's "cause" - "The new U.N. Security Council resolution requires member states to seek permission to inspect suspicious cargo. North Korea has said it would consider interception a declaration of war and on Wednesday accused the U.S. of seeking to provoke another Korean War." Wednesday, June 24, 2009
here is another statement that basically says the same thing: "The North Korean government stated that if South Korea joined the United States in an effort to search ships for nuclear weapons, it is declaring war. The North would attack the South if any of its ships were searched" May 27, 2009
the delegate of Isreal can see how any delegate might think of this as an international threat, especially to the US delegate and the South Korean delegate.
Delegate of Israel,
It only should only be respected if a country such as NK (who has 25,000 United States troops based in South Korea ready to attack,) considers this a declaration of war against them. And that any hostile act against thier peaceful vessels, including search and seizure, will be considered an unpardonable infringement on thier sovereignty. So a warning of a military response, only seems legitamate!

View user profile

117 Re: North Korea's nuclear threat! on November 8th 2009, 14:54

i would think that the fact that there are 25,000 american troops ready in south korea should be "respected". it just goes to show the state of alarm that the North korean weapons programs caused.
if North Korea truly felt threatened, and they had nuclear war heads, what would stop them from a preemptive attack, and, as you see delegate, the UN Security Council passed a resolution in 2009 as a result of the underground nuclear test by imposing sanctions. it called upon all states to search NK ships for weapons- the Resolution banned all weapons exports, and small arms imports.
according to this, searching NK ships is a matter of national security, but North korea would find it cause for war. infringement on sovereignty? delegate... This has become a matter of national security, which is slightly more important than a minor infringement, and unless NK was planning on disrespecting and violating the decisions of the UN resolution, they should not worry about a ship search. The members of the UN must make important decisions to Protect the world, and this would be one.

View user profile

118 Re: North Korea's nuclear threat! on November 8th 2009, 15:25

The US and South Korea are provoking our state; with no evidence of suspicious cargo, they are trying to search are ships, which is invading our countries boundaries. We are creating nuclear weapons for the purpose of PROTECTION. South Korea has stated that no one is threatening us, these statements prove that countries are invading our land, with no evidence that we are violating any laws. The US and south Korea have no reason to search our ships, and if they proceed to violate our right of keeping our country safe from outside threats we also deserve the right to take appropriate action, or retaliate.

In addition to these points the quotes that were given by Israel is questionable due to lack of proper citation.

North Korean Delegation,
Catie Nagel

View user profile

119 Re: North Korea's nuclear threat! on November 8th 2009, 15:56

to clear up any questions about the legitamacy of my quotes, here are my citations:
Sieff, Martin. "Obama faces North Korean war threat - UPI.com." Latest news, Latest News Headlines, news articles, news video, news photos - UPI.com. ©️ 2009 United Press International, Inc., 27 May 2009. Web. 08 Nov. 2009. http://www.upi.com/news/issueoftheday/2009/05/27/Obama-faces-North-Korean-war-threat/UPI-38061243436131/.
"North Korea Threatens to 'Wipe Out' U.S. - International News | News of the World | Middle East News | Europe News - FOXNews.com." Breaking News | Latest News | Current News - FOXNews.com. ©️ 2009 FOX News Network, LLC., 24 June 2009. Web. 08 Nov. 2009. http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,528880,00.html.
hope that clears things up a little for you delegate.
Now, I feel like I must repeat myself in saying that the reason for the ship searches is becuase the UN needs to make sure that NK is complying to the conditions of the Resolution 1874, and NO, this is not a violation of North korean Sovereignty becuase according to chapter VII of the UN charter, It allows the Council to "determine the existence of any threat to the peace, breach of the peace, or act of aggression" and to take military and nonmilitary action to "restore international peace and security".
and YES, exportation of weapons exports and small arms imports IS a matter of national security, DETERMINED as a threat to the peace by the security council, so it CAN take military actions deemed neccessary to restore international security, we know this is true becuase reso 1874 passed under this chapter.

View user profile

120 Re: North Korea's nuclear threat! on November 8th 2009, 21:32

delegates
The delegate of Japan would like to add a fact that everyone forgot except North Korea.

on the topic of tsunamis and earthquakes (click)

the delegate of North Korea stated
However, it is finding a very hard time setting aside money for other countries while the threat of our country not existing in a week is still a very real threat.

So the delegate of Japan wanted to point out that the economy of North Korea should be turned to raising the life condition, the relations with other countries BEFORE thinking about building a solid defense with nuclear weapons, which cost enough to kill North Korean population because of hunger. The delegate would find *smart* to stop playing the rich and developed country when North Korea is low economically and the delegation of Japan as many other delegations think North Korea can be considered as UNSTABLE because of the economic state, because the president, tyran or whatever is not making smart decisions (compared to the social economic state of the country, launching an atomic defense program is not logical).

View user profile

121 Re: North Korea's nuclear threat! on November 8th 2009, 22:02

israel_amanda wrote:to clear up any questions about the legitamacy of my quotes, here are my citations:
Sieff, Martin. "Obama faces North Korean war threat - UPI.com." Latest news, Latest News Headlines, news articles, news video, news photos - UPI.com. ©️ 2009 United Press International, Inc., 27 May 2009. Web. 08 Nov. 2009. http://www.upi.com/news/issueoftheday/2009/05/27/Obama-faces-North-Korean-war-threat/UPI-38061243436131/.
"North Korea Threatens to 'Wipe Out' U.S. - International News | News of the World | Middle East News | Europe News - FOXNews.com." Breaking News | Latest News | Current News - FOXNews.com. ©️ 2009 FOX News Network, LLC., 24 June 2009. Web. 08 Nov. 2009. http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,528880,00.html.
hope that clears things up a little for you delegate.
Now, I feel like I must repeat myself in saying that the reason for the ship searches is becuase the UN needs to make sure that NK is complying to the conditions of the Resolution 1874, and NO, this is not a violation of North korean Sovereignty becuase according to chapter VII of the UN charter, It allows the Council to "determine the existence of any threat to the peace, breach of the peace, or act of aggression" and to take military and nonmilitary action to "restore international peace and security".
and YES, exportation of weapons exports and small arms imports IS a matter of national security, DETERMINED as a threat to the peace by the security council, so it CAN take military actions deemed neccessary to restore international security, we know this is true becuase reso 1874 passed under this chapter.
delegate, just to make sure, does the delegate of Israel beleive that
nuclear weapons are acceptable?
do they harm the international peace that UN is trying to store?
Are they a good source of protection?
Is that fact that NK withdrew from the NPT display a bad sign in terms of the saftey of a nations population?

View user profile

122 Re: North Korea's nuclear threat! on November 9th 2009, 18:15

<b>Sieff, Martin. "Obama faces North Korean war threat - UPI.com." Latest news, Latest News Headlines, news articles, news video, news photos - UPI.com. ©️ 2009 United Press International, Inc., 27 May 2009. Web. 08 Nov. 2009. http://www.upi.com/news/issueoftheday/2009/05/27/Obama-faces-North-Korean-war-threat/UPI-38061243436131/.
"North Korea Threatens to 'Wipe Out' U.S. - International News | News of the World | Middle East News | Europe News - FOXNews.com." Breaking News | Latest News | Current News - FOXNews.com. ©️ 2009 FOX News Network, LLC., 24 June 2009. Web. 08 Nov. 2009. http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,528880,00.html.</b>


The north Korean Delegation fully agrees with these statements. Any country would react this way to keep its own country safe with its citizens are being threatened and the good health of our great state is under constant foreshadowing danger
Wouldn't you agree that any country would try and keep away attacks against its people. The US is only trying to bring down our nation because of our goals, they are pushing their imperialist views onto our country therefore intimidating and diminishing our economy.

View user profile

123 Re: North Korea's nuclear threat! on November 9th 2009, 19:16

North Korea,

Your nation holds 1 million troops on the DMZ. This amount is far more than South Korea’s 655,000 troops and 28,500 American forces. How is it that my nation or the United States threatening YOU while you out number our military? and delegate reforming your economy would only bring stability to your nation… as it did to China, who’s economy is now the 3rd largest in the world.

View user profile

124 Re: North Korea's nuclear threat! on November 9th 2009, 22:19

The US is threatened with the thought of preemptive attack, NK is keen on finding an excuse to "test" their nuclear weapons IN it's enemy countries....
delegate of pakistan- you do not need to quote my entire posts every time you wish to comment, you can simply direct your post at my delegation, and please stay focused on the topic at hand- we are discussing the threat of NK nuclear weapons, the delegate of Israel will not state anything further on it's views of nuclear weapons, except in THIS case, it is a threat to international security, so YES, delegate, they DO harm the international peace of the global community that the UN is trying to restore, as far as this question:
Is that fact that NK withdrew from the NPT display a bad sign in terms of the saftey of a nations population?
i would not understand your definition of "bad sign" please be a bit more specific, especially when you say the safety of "A nations population" . if you are asking if NK's withdrawl from the NPT is a threat to the national security, then my response would be that NK had to withdraw becuase it had already violated the NPT, and that their immediate production of nuclear weapons and streaming threats and provocations towards the US show their intent on destruction so YES, it's withdrawal is a threat, as i have stated before. if this was not the intent of your question, delegate of pakistan, perhaps you should try a more formal wording.
delegate of NK, the United States has not attacked NK, and while it seems nice to blame the US for the diminish of your economy, i would think it more accurate to states that your economy suffers becuase "Large-scale military spending draws off resources needed for investment and civilian consumption. The population continues to suffer from prolonged malnutrition and poor living conditions," while i do believe that "In May 2008, the US agreed to give 500,000 metric tons of food to North Korea via the World Food Program and US nongovernmental organizations" so how can you accuse the US of DIMINISHING your economy??? (https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/kn.html)
not to mention delegate, how much are you spending on your weapons programs?

View user profile

125 :( on November 10th 2009, 13:40

The delegate of North Korea is saddened by the fact that nations such as South Korea and Israel completely disregard the previous posts, simply rendering the debate move in circles! The nation of North Korea has already explained every single rhetoric created by your nations!


United Kingdom, our nation has already admited on having nuclear weapons the whole debate is about that!


Delegates, the previous mention on physical threat meant that North Korea has never done anything physical! We have basically manifested some verbatum!

View user profile

Sponsored content


Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 7]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum