Modes of Address
-All speeches should Begin: “Mr. (or Madam) Chairman, ladies and gentlemen of the house...”
-All references to other speakers should be in third person, e.g. point of information should begin with a phrase such as: “Is the speaker aware that...” and never: “Do you think...”
-Never refer to yourself in first person, remember, you are representing a delegation.
Phrases to be used:
A) Member of the house:
· Mr./ Madam chairman...
· The delegate requests the floor
· Can the delegate please have the floor?
· Point of information/ Point of order
· The delegate wishes to speak in favor/ against, this motion/ resolution/ amendment because...
· Is the speaker/ delegate aware that...
· Does the speaker not agree that...
· The speaker stated in his speech... Does (country name) not realize that...
· The delegate wants to amend the resolution by striking/ inserting/ adding the words...
· The delegate urges the house support to vote in favor of this resolution/ motion/ amendment.
· The delegate yields the floor back to the chair
B) The Chairman/woman:
· Will the house please come to order?
· The chair calls upon delegate X (the submitter) to read the resolution to the house.
· Are there any seconds?
· The chair will fix a debate time of 10 minutes for, and 10 minutes against the amendment/resolution.
· Delegate X, you have the floor
· All points are out of order until the speaker has concluded his speech.
· Please rise and state your point (of order/ information)
· Will the delegate please state his/her point in the form of a question?
· The speaker appears not to have heard/ understood your question.
· Will the delegate please repeat/ rephrase his/her question?
· Are there any further points of information to the speaker?
· Will the speaker please make his concluding remarks?
· Debate time for/against the resolution/the amendment has been exhausted. Will the speaker please yield the floor back to the chair?
· Debate time has expired.
· The chair purposes an extension of debate time by 5 minutes for, and 5 minutes against the motion.
· The debate is now closed. We will move into voting procedures.
· All points are out of order.
· The motion will now be put to the vote.
· Will all those in favor of the resolution/ amendment please raise the placards
· Will all those opposed to the resolution/ amendment please raise their placards
· Are there any abstentions?
· Will all those abstaining please raise their placards?
· The motion/ resolution/ amendment has passed by...
· The motion/resolution/ amendment did not pass by: X votes in favor, Y votes against, and Z abstentions.